Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
Bacon makes everything better. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. These savory, tasty stuffed mushrooms are filled with a mixture of bacon, cream cheese, and bread crumbs and are a perfect appetizer to pair with any of Small Vines Wines’ Pinot Noirs!
- Prep Time: 0 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms
- 4 Bacon slices diced
- 1/2 cup minced onion, or use part green onion
- 2 tablespoons Minced fresh green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 3 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
- 1/4 cup Hot water
- Clean mushrooms, remove and chop stems; set aside.
- Fry bacon in a heavy skillet. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain. In bacon drippings, saute onion, green pepper, and chopped mushroom stems until tender; drain. Add salt and pepper.
- Soften cream cheese; blend in cooked bacon and vegetables. Press mixture firmly into mushroom caps, mounding a bit. Place bread crumbs in a small bowl. Turn filled mushroom caps upside down and press gently in the bread crumbs to coat tops. Place in a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish. Add hot water to pan and bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes at 325 degrees.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen stuffed mushrooms.
2012 Small Vines Russian River Valley Estate Cuvée Pinot Noir.
This may be one of my favorite food pairings to showcase the significant versatility of our 2012 Russian River Valley Estate Cuvée Pinot Noir. It combines Pinot’s affinity for both the smoky flavors of bacon and earth-bound melodies of mushrooms into a delicious (and easy) appetizer. The often lighter-style, subtle tannins and juicy acidity give Pinot Noir a leg up when pairing with the likes of mushrooms, bacon and even onions. This appetizer is always a hit with the host and guests alike. It’s a snap to make, downright delicious and offers a great introduction to the basics of food and wine pairing when served alongside a slightly chilled glass of 2012 Small Vines Russian River Valley Estate Cuvée Pinot Noir.